Story…

spilling out from the refrigerator door –

a combination of broken glass and milk quickly filling up the floor. I opened the refrigerator door and the light inside revealed a message in the remains of the milk written in what looked like blood but was later revealed to be Heinz ketchup. It read, “Tonight at seven meet me at the white chapel.” I stopped and pondered, “What could this mean?” I looked for clues around the kitchen. Certain things were moved or tampered with. A pack of Kraft Singles yellow cheese was opened in little squares and spread out along my kitchen table. On the table there was a bag of buns that was torn open with one roll sticking out, opened as if it were ready to talk. A jar of dill pickles was missing its lid and a trail of pickles was left out making an arrow leading back to the fridge where the Heinz Ketchup jar was on its side with ketchup squeezed out on to a frozen spatula with the letter M written on it. Freaked out I cleaned up the mess locked the door and went back to bed with a Lions football helmet on and an Alex Rodriquez signed baseball bat in my hands.

A few hours later I woke up to the drool dripping off my face mask glowing in the morning light as it was creeping in from the shades of my bedroom window.

I got up and ate cereal for breakfast, then showered and left to go meet my students to play football. I almost forgot what had happened earlier that night, almost, chalking it up to a nightmare or dream based on the fact that I ate late that night. I remembered my mom telling me when I was younger that if you eat junk late at night you will have nightmares. So, I went on with my day not giving it another thought until……………….

Mr. M showed up to play football. It was very suspicious. He had red and yellow residue on his chess shirt. His fingers also had the same residue. The only reason I had noticed it was because he was rubbing his fingers together when he dropped the ball complaining about it. He did not get picked on a team so he went home angry mumbling something to himself in a foreign tongue. He had come back a few hours later and the kids and I were done playing. He had a crazed look in his eye like there was something more going on with him. You could almost see his thoughts on his face and it didn’t seem safe. So I said my goodbyes to the kids and proceeded to get the crazed M away for their safety. We started to walk and he continued to mumble under his breath. I started to get nervous so we called T. I did not feel safe being alone with him in this crazed state especially with that yellow reddish residue on his shirt and fingers. I’ve seen way too many scary movies to trust being alone with him. We walked to a well lit heavily populated park where we met up with T. M was still mumbling. Then his belly made this heavy thumping sound and M made his first coherent sentence. “I am hungry”, he said. Followed by, “Are you up for a game young Gawain?” I was dumbfounded. Why was he addressing me like this? What was his game? He said he wanted to have a friendly challenge – a duel of stomachs. I thought to myself, he must be crazy. Every time we have an eating contest he always falls like a mouse battling a dragon. Didn’t he learn from the whole Juniors experiment? I did not know, but I went along with his game for now because I wanted to see what he was up to and now it was not just myself I had to worry about but T as well. We agreed to the duel. On our way we passed the golden arches whereas he said to drive on. A few blocks later – there it was. It was a giant White Castle, like out of a story book; and in Brooklyn no less. Then it dawned on me – the dream. Could it be? Was M behind this whole thing? He laughed an evil laugh and grinned a devilish smile. He brought out twenty five of the most foul smelling, dangerous belly bombs. He said, “Lets proceed, the first to that unlucky thirteen is the victor.” Out of courage mixed with fear I jumped out on top vanquishing ten within minutes while he took the approach of the tortoise from the Aesop fable. I suffered through two more, leaving the battle for one in the balance. M was moving slow and noticing that – doubled his strategy. In minutes it was twelve to ten, slider versus slider. The crave was on to finish. M’s face was turning green. It was a war of two titans battling for knightly supremacy. Both sides not ready to give in. I grabbed the last of the murderers and……

I took a bite declaring victory over the stunned M. All of a sudden his face went from green to red and he was smiling. He laughed a hardy laugh and told me, “Hooray to another victory N. You have bested me once again but your courage is that of legends and I am happy to call you friend.” He then turned to the side and lavished a wicked smile and mumbled under his breathe, “I will get you next time”. Ha, ha, ha…………….

The end for now

N

THERE IS TRUTH HIDDEN IN EVERYTHING

THE TRICK IS IN FINDING IT.

Day of Knight’s Battle at White Castle by TechKnight

It was Thursday morning, 9 a.m. and I was still rock asleep in my bed. I tried to catch up on my sleep as I started to develop sleep debt from all those late nights working on the website. I was having a peaceful rest until shortly after 9:30, when my cell phone began to ring. “Errrrrrr, it’s my day off! Who can be calling me at this hour?!” I answered the phone and the person said “Hello” and asked, “Did I wake you up?” “You sure did”, I thought to myself. A colleague from school wanted to talk about how school was going. I wanted to keep the conversation short, but it just went on and on. Just when I thought I could say bye, it was like an info-commercial. “Wait, there’s more!” All I kept thinking was “It’s getting early, I must go back to sleep”. More than an hour later, the call finally ended. To sleep or not to sleep, that is the question.

I set my alarm for 1 p.m., so I could wake up to eat and shower, and then meet Ncredible and students at the school for football. I went back to sleep and rested calmly. After a few hours or so, I lay awake in bed waiting for the alarm to ring. I waited and waited, I didn’t want to get out of bed. Eventually, I couldn’t wait any longer and got out of bed. First, I went to check my cell phone for the time and it showed one missed call, one voice message, and one text message. Oh great, I must have over slept. The text message was from LadyHistory and read, “Wake up! Go to school and meet the kids at one. N is getting his wrist checked and will be late”. “What time was it”, I said to myself and looked at the clock. It was 2:30 p.m.! Oh no! I am late! I quickly grabbed the first t-shirt and shorts I saw, and ran to school. It didn’t matter that I didn’t match and was wearing a chess tournament shirt.

I arrived in the schoolyard and found Ncredible throwing the football around with Lavaman and Alex S. Whew, maybe I wasn’t that late! I told Ncredible how I somehow lost track of time and he told me, “I got here in a hurry at 2:05”. I watched as more and more students started to come by, and then there was enough for a 5 on 5 game. Ncredible said, “Let’s Choose Up Teams”. I stood behind N and the captains picked their teams. I was not picked. Why didn’t I get picked? Maybe I had to work on my speed like Mr. S who was working out on the treadmill. I was thinking to myself that

I didn’t eat anything all morning and started to feel hungry. Since I wasn’t picked I asked N if I could go back home for a quick bite. N said, “Ok”. I walked back home to eat. It was 3 p.m., and I didn’t eat breakfast or lunch so I decided to eat something filling that would keep me full all day. I placed a Zongzi in the microwave to reheat. A Zongzi is a Chinese rice dumpling, stuffed with sticky rice, Chinese barbecue pork, peanuts, dried shrimp, salted duck egg and Chinese sausage wrapped in bamboo leaves. I ate the Zongzi in front of my computer while reading my emails, and using AIM to talk to LadyHistory. I enjoyed my meal before going back out to the schoolyard.

When I returned to the schoolyard only a couple of people remained on the steps. I joined their discussion about football and other school related topics. As we were talking we noticed some students near the gate. It was nk101 and her friend. They tried to sneak in without us noticing, but had no luck. Ncredible asked nk101 whether she did her homework and then allowed them to go their way.

We were now rested and decided to play some more football. We practiced throwing the football with accuracy. We set up several match ups for competition and Ncredible came out winning each one. We felt tired and stopped for the day. Ncredible and I started walking to Seth Low Park. I wanted to find someone to play a couple of chess games with. We called LadyHistory to meet us. At the park, no one accepted my challenge to play. Ncredible, LadyHistory, and I decided to leave and find another park. LadyHistory drove us to Pershing Junior High school where we saw a beautiful schoolyard with a grass field, basketball courts, a track, picnic area and more. Our schoolyard would look like this one day. The only difference being that I want a life size chess board in our schoolyard and chess tables. This way I would be the king of the chess courts.

Without a chess game in sight, we went on our way. We were driving around when we saw a castle. It wasn’t your typical castle, it was White. Ncredible was hungry and wanted to stop by. When we went inside, we decided to purchase a crave case to satisfy our hunger. While we were waiting for the cheeseburgers to be made, Ncredible and I passed time by predicting how many burgers we would eat.

I took out my pocket computer to calculate the situation. “Ten cheeseburgers each”, I said. Ncredible and I couldn’t imagine LadyHistory eating ten. That would sure be a surprise. We continued to talk when LadyHistory came back and put the crave case on the table. Ncredible laughed. “Hey, how about we see who can eat the most burgers!” “Let’s play!” I always liked a challenge and was ready to play.

I remember the last two years I averaged more than one hundred shrimp per seating in the Red Lobster annual all you can eat shrimp promotion. I was sure to win this small contest. If I lost, it was maybe just me being nice and letting Ncredible win.

Ncredible started the challenge by munching down two burgers in a heartbeat. I started slowly, taking my time, to give him an advantage and a chance to win. The focus of the battle was to finish eating the most burgers. I could start slow and pick up my speed later. Ncredible continued to eat burger after burger, putting more pressure on me. I was thinking in my head, “Maybe if he continues to eat at this pace, he’s going to get full quicker.” I continued to eat at my pace hoping that Ncredible would fall into my trap.

It was not an easy task tricking Ncredible. He was too clever to fall for the trap and started to slow down. I had finished my 8th burger and Ncredible was resting after his 10th. LadyHistory was unable to finish her 5th and just watched this intense battle. The first to thirteen burgers would win this match-up. I had to be more aggressive and started stacking my burger as doubles. Why didn’t I think of this earlier? I would have won easily. Ncredible quickly noticed how risky my attack was and said, “Triple stacking is not allowed, I will allow you to double up once more.” Ncredible continued to eat one by one to advance. The race was coming down to the wire. I had finished my 10th burger and Ncredible just finished his 11th. I took another bold move and double stacked my burgers again. I was not going to allow Ncredible to win easily. I planned to quickly eat the double stack and grab the last burger when Ncredible was still working on his 12th.

I was ready to finish the battle. Then Ncredible started to make some distractions. He was playing with the 13th burger. I took a break from eating the burgers and started to eat my onion rings. This gave Ncredible the chance to win. We had both finished our 12th burger and I could have kept the advantage but decided to pause. That was when Ncredible snatched the last burger and hammered it down. He took a quick bite and threw it down in the box. He declared himself the winner. Ncredible offered his hand. “Good game.” I smiled and said, “Good game, but I let you win!”

LadyHistory took out her camera phone and documented this historical event. It was hard to believe that we did something like that. This was a story that when we got back to school, no one would believe. Too bad we did not bring back the last burger.

21 thoughts on “Story…

1. Wow, the story was so good. It was the best story I ever read. It had mysteries and action that was really cool.

2. I think the truth of the burger is Mr.M’s story. I choose Mr.M’s story because Mr.N’s story was unbelievable because how can something mess his kitchen up. I can’t believed Mr.N was afraid of something to have his a Lions football helmet on and an Alex Rodriquez signed baseball bat in his hands. I choose Mr.M’s because it really sounded that Mr.N may have bite some and left it.
    Mr.M’s story sounds like it will happen to anyone because everyone may receive a phone call somewhere in the morning or in the middle of the night. And everyone may have slept very late and have forgotten to meet with some friends or someone. The truth is Mr.M’s story.

3. I believe the story that is the truth is Mr. M’s story. He is telling us the story of when he and Ncredible were playing football in the schoolyard with other kids. When everybody got tired, they all went home. Ncredible and Mr. M went to the park so Mr. M would challenge any person in chess, but no one took his challenge. They called LadyHistory to meet them at the park. When she came, they went looking for another park.
    Then they decided to go to White Castle because Ncredible was getting hungry. When they got there, Ncredible and Mr. M decided to have a challenge on who eats the most cheeseburgers. Ncredible was eating fast while Mr. M was eating slow and taking his time. Mr. M decided to eat two at a time while Ncredible was eating one after another. They were both on the 12th burger when Mr. M was eating his onion rings, when Ncredible took the last burger and ate the whole thing. That is why I believe Mr. M story was the truth.
    story was truth.

4. I know that M and N had met up with some students to play football. I know that N, M and T went to White Castle and had a burger eating competition. I know that M at first was eating slowly then faster and faster. I know that N won with or without the advantage. I think that N had ate before he went to bed and started having nightmares about someone going in to his refrigerator and writing M and leaving a mess in the kitchen. The rest of the day, he got so involved with this nightmare that he started exaggerating about it that when M laughed to N it seemed like an evil laugh but it might have just been some friendly laugh. If M had said, I’ll get you next time he probably was talking about the eating contest.

5. I like both stories, they are both very interesting and funny. I have a question, you guys are super heros why are you making lady history drive? – can’t you fly? Mr.N you can’t say that Mr. M didn’t get picked on a team, that’s just mean. You should say that he got picked but never got the ball thrown to him.Also Mr.M you can’t challenge Mr.N to a burger eating contest – Why….. BECAUSE – IT’S OBVIOUS THAT MR.N IS GOING TO WIN. Last thing why didn’t you guys say that I went to the school yard with you guys, I’m good . Anyway, good stories.

6. I though Mr.N’s story was really great and a littile funny. I also thought that the fight scene was really detailed and dramatic. I also liked how he started off in the beginning, and how he jumped out of bed because he had heard something in the kitchen and went to go check it out. I also liked how he paused the scene to get the reader excited to read more and to find out what he saw in the kitchen.

Now Mr.M’s story

I would of expected more from Mr.M’s story but I can say that the title of the story doesn’t fit the story. I also thought that there were to mamy details in each part of the story. Maybe if he would shorten the boring parts and bring up the good parts faster. I would of made the story based on a fiction story because how he brought up Lavaman. He could of said when Lavaman was playing football that he cheated by putting the ball on fire so nobody can touch it besides him. Since he didnt make the story a fiction story he shouldn’t have brought up Lavaman.

7. I think that Mr. M had a better story then Mr. N because Mr. M had many more details than Mr. N and now you know what story goes with the picture of the bitten hamburger.

8. I think Mr. N’s story is the truth. At the end of Mr. N’s story, the hamburger is still left with only one bite taken out of it. Mr. N’s story sounded a little crazy and unreal at the beginning. As the story went on, like when they went to play football, it sounded like it could be true. When they were eating at White Castle, the competition was very close and realistic. It just seems like Mr. N’s story is the real one although it was a little wild!

In Mr. M’s story, it sounded more like it was the true story at the beginning but then it didn’t sound true at the end. The burger was all gone. The picture of the burger showed that it was still there with only a bite missing. In Mr. M’s story, the burger was all eaten. Although Mr. M’s story sounded more like a real day, the end was wrong.

9. I think both stories are true even if they’re two different sides of one story. Also, they both sound similar in the middle. I dont know which story is the true one but I’m guessing Mr. N’s is the true story. I think it has more details in it and more emotion. I also like it because it sounds cool.

10. I think Mr.N is right because he told all the facts he saw and proved it was Mr.M. Also he includes details from it. But the way he sounds doesn’t sound right. That is what I think about who is right and wrong.

11. I think Mr. M’s story is the truth because he talks about the hamburglar being a fact and because Ncredible ate the hamburger in a heartbeat

12. Mr. N, I think your story was great because you left us guessing when you said it was….. That’s why I think your story was the best. Are you going to write another story?

13. i THINK THAT MR.N’S STORY WAS THE TRUTH BECAUSE I REALLY THINK THAT HE CAN EAT 13 BURGERS. I DON’T KNOW IF MR. M CAN EAT THAT MUCH, BUT OF COURSE, LADYHISTORY CANNOT EAT THAT MUCH. IF SHE COULD, THEN SHE WILL BREAK A WORLD RECORD, I THINK. EVEN THOUGH I’M STILL TALKING ABOUT THIS, BUT WHO WOULD EVEN PLAY THOSE GAMES. NOW THAT IS SCARY!
    I REALLY LIKE IT WHEN MR.N WON AND HE WAS ALSO CHEATING BECAUSE HE GOT THE LAST BURGER WITHOUT MR.M NOTICING. THAT WAS UNFAIR FOR MR.M. WELL, I KNOW THAT LADYHISTORY ATE 5, MR.N ATE 13, AND MR.M ATE 12 BUT THE STORY STILL DOESN’T TELL HOW MANY BURGERS MR.S ATE. [HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM]

14. I think that Mr. N’s story is false because it was like a bad dream. Mr. Ms story is like data because he is using numbers all the time. I like Mr. M story because I like the prediction about our school backyard having a field made of grass and football fields and basketball fields.

15. I think that Mr. M’s story has more truth in it, because who would wake up in the middle of the night and milk spilling from the fridge. In Mr. M’s story, there is another true thing. It is that Mr. N ate almost 12 hamburgers. However, Mr. N didn’t finish it. In Mr. M’s story, Mr. M let Mr. N win possibly because Mr. M was being a good friend. Mr. M took out his pocket computer to calculate how many hamburgers will he eat and that seems normal.

16. I think that Mr. N’s story is true because, he had more details that gave me a picture in my head of what was going on and then the story started coming together in my head.

17. The story was fantastic I liked the part about Lady History. I think Lady History is Ms. T. I didn’t think she could eat all those burgers. Ncredible is Mr. N.